Re-config to all oem defaults

Is there any scripting (with installed resources) that will reset the entire FlyPOD/Pro to all of it’s original settings?

I’ve tried a bunch of stuff and can not seem to get back some of the desktop apps. The blue wifi light turns off at boot up when you hit the enter key at the login prompt…i can’t get the openwrt in a terminal to make any difference.

I need a reset of everything if possible. do I need to completely re-image the eMMC?

ptegler

Hey Ptegler,

We are trying to figure out a easy and simple mechanism for you to reflash your eMMC. In the meanwhile can you send me a screenshot of your desktop so that I can see which which desktop apps are missing.

Thanks for your patience,
Zubin

the upper left corner of the pod screen (via direct hdmi connection) use to have two pull down menus… one was mostly system config and apps while the second (further from the left) had more applications and other utilities. That second meu is no longer showing. Ther was more than one way to get to network settings and a couple other utilities that I can no longer see. a couple terminals an such were there, which do not show up in the only drop down menu that does show up.
some of the apps not appearing are stuff like the desktop ‘look and feel’ and apps that let you configure that top level menu!

RSSI ADC pinouts

Hi again,

You can follow 2 approaches. You can flash a 32 GB sdcard with FlytOS and use it to boot FlytOS in the original state. You can keep using the SDcard for testing as the default boot device, or you can use it to reflash your eMMC.

I have prepared a document that you can follow to restore your eMMC to the factory settings: link to documentation. For the first approach, follow first 3 steps of the documentation. To follow the 2nd approach, continue performing all the steps of the documentation.

If you face any difficulties in the way, feel free to post here and I will help you out in the installation.

Regarding the desktop apps and the desktop feel, are you sure that you are in the Lubuntu desktop environment and not in some other desktop environment. I a previous post you had mentioned that you accidentally open the openbox interface. There are some other interfaces (KODI, Lubuntu Notebook) which dont have the same apps as Lubuntu. So could could you recheck the selected desktop environment?

Thanks,
Zubin

wow…didn’t see this response three days ago…
ok…so downloading the imge file… WHAT!!! WOW is that slooowwww says it’s going to take ~ 1 hr?? it’s only a 2.5g file correct?
The case here appears to be glued together? how the heck does it come apart without breaking it???
…this getting really ridiculous :frowning:

It’s not doc’ed on the site, but the PRO has the little switch down inside to turn on/off the router (and the extra undocumented Ethernet connection on the side of the Pod/Pro the standard Pod does not have) why not a hole to get to that boot device switch! (yes I know its on the end with the wifi antennas…I have an odroid xu4 sitting right here as well…fan position tells me where the switch is.

:frowning: downloaded the image twice, built the image twice… still not working.
After the first image build, it left the SD card with only a 128 meg partition that the system could not finish writing to (SD builder kept erroring out 1/4 of the way through) . took quite an effort to figure out how to un-write protect an SD card…let alone reformat it for the full 32 gig size.
Building the image the second time worked. Instead of opening up the case, I drilled a small hole in the case bottom affording me access to the eMMC/SD switch)
On SD card booted up, looked like the original with NO fail anywhere this time as the stuff scrolled by…
BUT get to the log in screen/prompt, log in …it just keeps looping and goes back to the login screen.
Regardless of eMMC/SD card switch location if the SD card is in, that’s what it tries to boot from, even with the switch in the eMMC position.
regardless… all this didn’t work
The blue wifi light at least stayed on with the SD card boot. pull the card switch back eMMC and it still at least boots up upon repowering the pod

Hey @pteg

The downloaded compressed image size is indeed 2.5 Gigabytes. On expanding it, the image occupies around 9 GBs. Did you verify the MD5sum of the downloaded file to ensure it wasn’t corrupted during download? I’m unsure as to why the the 32 GB sdcard was completely filled up while writing the 9 GB image. Are you sure you are following the proper instructions from this link: http://docs.flytbase.com/docs/FlytOS/FlytOSInstallationGuide.html#flytpod-flytpod-pro-odroid-xu4-raspberrypi3

And yes, the SDcard is given priority over bootup whenever both eMMC and sdcards are inserted, regardless of the switch position. This is a bug with the odroid kernel, but it will not create any issue in the reflashing workflow I described in my previous comment.

Edit: The bootup issue with your sdcard hints to the possibility that you haven’t expanded your sdcard partition to occupy the full 32 GBs. Please ensure that the partition is expanded and then try booting the sdcard again.
Meanwhile, I am looking at the rest of your queries and I will get back to you shortly with a solution.

Zubin

the checksum matched up just fine. The sd card was not filled, the writing program errored and left the stick configured as a 128meg stick (even though it was a class 10 32 gig card) Under Windows I was not able to expand the partition size,…by the instructions, was going to do that after installing gparted after flytpod boot up… but boot up would never complete (stuck in log in loop)

Yes, I validated the defaults (boot) with my odroid here…sd card takes priority.

I’m going to try and at least validate the SD procedure again this evening, but i’ll use my odroid rather than the pod

Hey @pteg

The reason FlytOS does not boot up is that without expanding the sdcard partition , the display manager will not be able to load (not enough memory in the primary partition). Therefore you will have to do the expansion step on a PC.
Can you tell me the name of the program that you use to expand your sdcard partition? Is it the same one from the link that I gave you?

ok …that makes sense…
yes, I pulled from the instructions gparted? but what came down looked like I had to build the app on wndows before running it.

I will try it all again this evening. Agreed…it sounds like the expansion issue… the display would blank out after attempting to login…then just come back with the top menu bar and login prompt mid screen. rinse and repeat.

ptegler

hey…a product offering suggestion… SD cards all imaged!
for use as a bootup repair, a fit-it complet with scripts…and a space for backups of the backup of the operating system for in field reconfiguration if/when a power fault occurs! :slight_smile:

got the sd card gparted and it boots just fine… getting ready to work the eMMC card… in gparted…how do you tell which drive is which? They are nearly identical in size, although one is /media/flytpod/boot and one is just media/boot.

BIG question…the instruction linked above say to creat a new partition that is FAT32. BORH of these drives are FAT16. So which should I set up?

thanks

wow what an evening. I FINALLY have a flytpod/Pro booting up an accessible again. If it were not for my Odroid XU4 sitting here on the side, I would not be back on line.

Some of the instructions/procedures may be language, details, slight vernacular differences whatever, but I got it all working with way to many problems/retries/repeats to get there…

Issues and comments… naming conventions of what the partitions show up as… mine were not what you laid out so took some experimentation to correct. trying to get the IMG onto a media I could transfer while booted from the SD… was VERY confusing trying to figure out which drive gparted was identifying as the SD, the eMMC or the thumb drive, let alone incorporate those names/paths in the command line to install the image.

Now all of you guys know the nuisances of this array of hardware. (you’ve been playing with it for a couple years?) But even seasoned programmers NOT as familiar do need accurate details.
I could ramble on but have more important issues. I don’t want to repeat this rebuild event.

Q1- An app on the Pod (Lubuntu) …checking for updates, came up with about 320 meg worth of software updates. A couple ROS items showed up as well. A lot was Libre office and etc which I could care less about. The Q here is WHAT is SAFE to update without scrambling the configuration of your hardware combo here of Lubuntu, openCV, ROS, flight controller config and etc.

I didn’t see the single item that FAILS (boot up stream going by) while booting from the SD card, but it’s back when booting from the eMMC card. Whether it effects anything or not…just a tidbit of info as to a difference noticed.

I’d still like to have a fixed IP address of the FlytPOD. Out in the field I’d like to be able to FIX addresses (IP) for better control. DETAILS as to WHAT specifically to enter and where to enter it is needed to be documented to eliminate butt-heads like me having to go through events like this. Either that or disable access to this background logistics to stop butt-heads like me from scrambling it. :slight_smile:

So…after two weeks of working with this device, I’ve spent 70% of the time trying to get it to run correctly.
I now have to go back an attempt the update again for the RSSI. Is this ‘update’ independent? (what else might break?)

What about general revison updates of supporting libraries and etc… (opencv ros, pixhawk) effects? issues
to avoid?

…yes…probably more to come.

Oh one last biggie… I was able to change my email address in the forums but my account profile will not let me update the email address. That needs to be changed as people loose/change addresses and ISPs all the time… so right now my license are under one email address and I’m here in the forums under a different email address. Seems like a guaranteed future confusion point.
thanks for putting up with me here guys and gals

Hi,

Its great to hear that you were able to get your hardware up and running again. Sorry for all the obstacles you have faced till now on your journey, but we are improving our stack everyday by taking all of your suggestions and we hope in collaboration with users like you we would be able to get the stack in such a position that any novice user can work with it all the time. Thanks to you for helping us improve the user experience of our product.

Now to get into the itty-bitty details,

1> So eventually, you are running flytos on your eMMC or SD card? What is your boot selector switch position which decides SDCard vs eMMC?
2> @zubin would get back to you on this.

3> [quote=“pteg, post:14, topic:289”]
Q1- An app on the Pod (Lubuntu) …checking for updates, came up with about 320 meg worth of software updates. A couple ROS items showed up as well. A lot was Libre office and etc which I could care less about. The Q here is WHAT is SAFE to update without scrambling the configuration of your hardware combo here of Lubuntu, openCV, ROS, flight controller config and etc.
[/quote]

I don’t think any of it is necessary for now.

4> [quote=“pteg, post:14, topic:289”]
I didn’t see the single item that FAILS (boot up stream going by) while booting from the SD card, but it’s back when booting from the eMMC card. Whether it effects anything or not…just a tidbit of info as to a difference noticed.
[/quote]

@zubin please confirm this issue.
@pteg if you want to catch that fail, it would either be in dmesg or journal. The log files should be in /var/log directory. I have not tested it on FlytPOD, but it should be the case. You can also run this command dmesg or journalctl -b0.

5> [quote=“pteg, post:14, topic:289”]
I’d still like to have a fixed IP address of the FlytPOD. Out in the field I’d like to be able to FIX addresses (IP) for better control. DETAILS as to WHAT specifically to enter and where to enter it is needed to be documented to eliminate butt-heads like me having to go through events like this. Either that or disable access to this background logistics to stop butt-heads like me from scrambling it. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

@Dhirajd please respond.

6> [quote=“pteg, post:14, topic:289”]
So…after two weeks of working with this device, I’ve spent 70% of the time trying to get it to run correctly.
I now have to go back an attempt the update again for the RSSI. Is this ‘update’ independent? (what else might break?)
[/quote]

Don’t try this. We anyway would be pushing an autoupdate today, in that this should be taken care of.

7> [quote=“pteg, post:14, topic:289”]
Oh one last biggie… I was able to change my email address in the forums but my account profile will not let me update the email address. That needs to be changed as people loose/change addresses and ISPs all the time… so right now my license are under one email address and I’m here in the forums under a different email address. Seems like a guaranteed future confusion point.
[/quote]

I have sent you a personal email for this.

Hi,

Can you confirm whether you can access flytconsole, with it showing a positive connected status.

Hey,
Thank you for the insights @pteg. I will address the the 2 points that @srv asked me to.

2> I agree that the tutorial I wrote in a hurry was non trivial to follow. I apologize for the troubles that caused you. I am working on improving the tutorial and making it easier to follow. I too faced the problem of not being able to recognize which partition was the sdcard and which one was the eMMC due to similar names and sizes. What I did as a workaround was to shrink the sdcard partition by a few gigabytes so that I could distinguish them in Gparted. I accidentally skipped this piece of information in that doc. I will a more proper way to distinguish the partitions.

3> The one error you see in the eMMC while bootup, which should actually be seen in the sdcard too(maybe it scrolled too fast. you can check it in dmesg though) is harmless. It says
Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
Basically while bootup, kernel fails to load 3 modules : lp, ppdev, parport_pc
These modules are related to a printer driver that uses parallel port, but ARM devices don’t support parallel ports. Therefore these modules are not required, and failing to load them is not an issue, just a hassle to see the debug message every boot.

Hope this answers your queries.

That is a simple way to see which drive is which. (shrink the card…maybe say that as a part of putting an image on the card…obviously a 16 gig card would be needed
I made my decision based on opening gparted once again…ther is a menu item to dislay details about the drive and part of that naming convention looked enough different to say which was which drive.

?? I can access the pod via wifi from my pc across my router ok now.

1- my ‘Pro’ is an eMMC for normal boot. though this proces I now have a SD card I could boot from. I will be copying the image file to that SD card and tucking it away for safe keeping if I have to repeat this event at some future date.

2- necessary or not… if it were auto updating I was asking to make sure it would not ‘break’ anything if the updates wee all performed.

4- will look this evening, but see below…Zubin already responded with the probable boot fail message

5??
6- ok
7 I changed the forum account email address…its the license/account address the system will not let me change