Pixhawk 2 with the Odroid XU4 (Communication)

@srv I’m still struggling how to set-up the communication. Did al the given steps, when I log into the flytconsole using the IP adress it says Disconnected in the header, I tried to use the micro-usb as well as the usb - uart Converter. Cant see anything about my autopilot in the Flytconsole menu.
Regard

Hi,

I forgot to mention. Depending on what interface you choose, you have to make an edit to a file. Its clearly articulated here, under Need to change the baudrate/port of Flight Control Unit(Pixhawk) section.

Hi,
Well finally it works, got the communication on my laptop. Few things to figure out how.

1. When I’m in the FlytConsole true my computer (same WiFi) I see Battery; FlightMode; Disarmed; Connected. When I try to select a frame, Calibration, or anything else I receive this message: “This widget does not work with APM” what does it mean? can I solve this problem or not? <-- -solve this, upload firmware true QGC, I get in the widgets
    Now trying to calibrate everything with the FlytConsole, when I try to calibrate or set some new params recieve this message “Parameter set Failed”

2. Can’t take off., “Failed to take off”, (Is this because I do not use FlytPOD?) I can execute the drone with a ground station and FlytOS right??

3. Can’t figure out how to switch to offboard/API and how to install this flight mode in Mission Planner.
    (4. Next --> connect the drone through 4G.)

Sorry for al those questions, hope somebody can help me to figure out!
Thanks to you all!
Regard

Hi,

1. Decide which drone autopilot you are going to fly with. APM or PX4?
  2. When you update your autopilot firmware, make sure you choose correct autopilot.

Those FlytConsole widgets that do not work with APM will show you this message. Instead use APMPlanner or Mission Planner for APM or QgroundControl for PX4, for frame, calibration etc.

It seems you had installed PX4 while updating your firmware, which is supported by FlytConsole. That’s why you got the widgets working.

Also, how are you connected to Pixhawk? via Uart or USB? For APM, yesterday I came to know that they recommend to not use USB of Pixhawk for connecting to Companion Computer. I hope you are using UART of Pixhawk.

No, ofcourse FlytOS would work with any Companion Computer of your choice, and is not restricted to FlytPOD. Please take a look at this and post your log here.

Offboard is same as GUIDED mode. Just configure FLTMODE parameter in mission planner accordingly.

I hope you have activated your device, and rebooted it once done.

Thank you for your response, I will look after this and let you know.
I’m using the USB to USB, not the uart telem2 cable… have some problems witht the connection between the UART so decide to choose for USB to USB. What is the different between them?
Thanks

The micro USB port (aka Serial0) is used to connect to the ground station using a USB cable. This should not be connected in flight because the flight code assumes that if it is receiving power through this port that it is on the bench and some failsafes (i.e. battery failsafe) are disabled.

apm doc link

Well it is working,

Only 2 problems,

1. When using PX4 the flytconsole is telling me: This widget is only working with APM
  • When using APM on the Pixhawk, flytcolonsole is telly me: This widget doesn’t work with APM???
  1. Now using a wifi stick to the Odorid system, I want to use a 4G dongle for long distance connection, how to do the set-up for the 4G stick because the IP-Adress will change every time.? Can anybody help me with that?

Thank you very much!

Hi @dirkhuijbers,

Which widget were you talking about?

@Dhirajd can you help him with this?

Hi @srv Thank you for your reaction,

I’m talking about the widgets from the flytconsole, all of them. For instance; Esc calibration, motor test, radio calibration etc…

@Dhirajd Hope you can help me, thank you!

We are looking into the probable issue. Will get back to you in some time.

@srv Thank you, looking forward to the reaction,

One other issue, when turning off the odroid with the button and start it later again, the FlytOs is not running, I have to start it with a command from my PC, is there any command or setting that solve this problem?

what is your version of FlytOS?

Also,

With FlytPOD, ALL the widgets are supported.
With PX4, except motor testing and esc calibration all are supported.
With APM, only motor testing would work.

GCS widget would work with ALL.

For APM users, it is recommended to use APM Planner/ QGC / Mission Planner to setup their autopilots.

The version of FlotOS is 1.34

ok,

Can you run these commands and post their results:

ls /etc/init.d

ls /etc/rc4.d

Follow, this guideline, if you got updated from 1.31 to 1.34.

Hello @dirkhuijbers

It is not that straightforward when you connect a 4G dongle. Not ony there is probably a new IP address everytime, but also you can not just make a request over the Internet to an IP address behind some NAT. Telecomm companies do not provide static IP address to cellular connections. This is how our Internet manages to survive even though number of Internet users have grown way more than the number of possible IPV4 addresses.
There are two known work arounds, VPN and Dynamic DNS service. You can take a look at them. In both cases you are assuming that thruough 4G your odroid is connected to Internet and your client laptop is also on Internet.

However if you can hold, we have Cloud APIs coming out in next few days. With these API’s you will be able to control, monitor your drone from cloud. All you have to do is to connect your drone to Internet through 4G, wifi or whatever you have. Then use the FlytConsole Cloud app to control your drone. Also all the APIs will be accessible through cloud.

You can participate in beta trials if interested. We have already done lot of internal testing and announcement will be made soon. Thanks.

Thank you for your reaction!
Recently bought a 4G dongle to set-up the whole process.
The 4G dongle works on my PC but I have to figure out how to install the drivers on the Odroid board,. all tips and tricks are welcome.
Regard

Hi… I would recommend to do a gstreamer pipeline to stream the video via udp to your surface computer and to the Odroid itself, with this you’ll be able to debug and see what is going on. Also it would be possible to test the UAV with your development code running in your surface computer.
The same thing applies to the mavlink communication, you can run a mavproxy server that can do the proxy communication with your surface computer and the pymavlink code in Odroid, with this you’ll be able also to do the development and debug from the surface computer.