Increment in Antenna Range

Hi
I have observed that the flytpod’s connection range with GCS( flytconsole in laptop) is not more than ~50m. Is there anyway that the range can be increased further more. Since the aircraft is a fixed wing, we need to have more range for further testing purpose.
Regards

The router inside FlytPOD can easily work upto 200 meters line of sight. If you are experiencing this problem then it should be a problem with your laptop. There are two things that you can do.

1. Make sure both antennas on FlytPOD are attached properly.
  2. Use another router on ground. Then connect FlytPOD to ground router’s wifi network. Connect your laptop as well to ground router’s wifi. To open the FlytConsole you will have to figure out IP address assigned to FlytPOD. You can use ground router’s setup page to find it out.

On a side note remember that only takeoff, land and Waypoint commands from FlytConsole or remote apps will work for Fixed Wing,

Hi, my setup is based on FlytOS in Pi3 and PX4 firmware in Pixhawk autopilot board and not FlytPOD.
With EZ_Wifi_Broadcast I am able to get range of HD video upto several kilo meters, not just 200mts.
I would appreciate if you could help me establish parallel HD video link along with FlytOS running on Pi3.

Do you want to access flytConsole over the same EZ_wiif broadcast link?
From the first look EZ_wifi_broadcast configures wifi radio in a kind of broadcast mode. But this means that the link works mostly in one way, since there is powerful transmitter on drone and directional receiver on the ground. FlytConsole works on typical TCP protocol so it requires physical layers which can support bidirectional communication to guarantee delivery of data. If you check wiki the bidirectional communication in wifi broadcast is untested.
I will spend some more time on it to figure out a solution which can offer such long range video and data link.

Thanks Dhiraj, wish you all the best.
Let us think of using two USB-Wifi dongles at plane side and two at GCS side, one TX high power USB-Wifi dongle and one regular lower power RX USB-Wifi dongle at both sides to give bi-directional solid link using UDP.

This means GSC would too have one high power USB-Wifi dongle for uplink in UDP mode and one low power RX USB-Wifi dongle to receive video stream using UDP.

From overview, it looks like as if it would be expensive and increasing number of dongles but it can give solid bi-directional broadband link on UDP with RX & TX via different routes via two wifi dongle.

Pls let me know what you think about this.

What you are proposing is tricky to implement. You will have to provide manual routing rules since OS on your laptop raspberry pi does not use both networks by default.

Yes, I know its difficult to implement but to achieve great, one has to think out of the window !